As a short reminder I am currently on a countdown until Halloween and working out of Frances Grimble’s book,Fashions of the Gilded Age, Volume 1: Undergarments, Bodices, Skirts, Overskirts, Polonaises, and Day Dresses 1877-1882. I have currently 48 days to complete an outfit for Halloween, or I have to wear one of the ‘cheap’ store outfits that are expensive for cheap materials. (I’m a bit disappointed with the quality of them, if you can’t tell,) So if I don’t want that to happen, I have to get cracking.
Yesterday I had a half day because of some commitments I didn’t know about, so I only worked until about noon. That means that I didn’t get as much done as I hoped, but I plan on making up that time soon. I had most of the half done on Tuesday, but had to redo a bunch of seams.
Out of this pattern I have finished the right side of my corset, except for some of the boning which I measured for and ordered yesterday.
I previously stated that I sew slowly, this is proof. This is all I did in seven hours. I put in the boning and eyelets on the back piece.
I sewed the seams to each other so the sides would line up really nicely. The middle I folded over the seam allowance on the back side and placed it over the front and sewed up the side seam.
The boning channels I eyeballed and had to rip out quite a few times. It took all of yesterday’s three hours to sew up five boning channels. Today I plan on sewing up the other side. Hopefully by tomorrow I can finish this corset and have it sitting waiting for me to put in boning when it comes. I did forget to buy laces, but I think I can find something to use in the meantime.
Wish me luck!