Monthly Archives: May 2015

Practicality and Wool

So I decided to take part in this year’s Historical Monthly Challenge, hosted by the ever lovely Dreamstress and her band of merry (wo)men.  So far I have hit a few snags, the first being not remembering to check it until finals were scarily approaching.  As such, I decided to take part in the May challenge of Practicality.  I have cut and mostly sewn a lovely chemise, because what else is one of the most practical of garments?

Here is snag number two: Our A/C is out.  Not too horrible, but in the 80+ degree Fahrenheit weather plus ridiculous humidity, I just cannot bring myself to turn on my iron, and an unpressed garment is something I am not willing to try and finagle my way out of.  I had the repairmen over today, and while they fixed (replaced) my ancient thermostat, a piece is broken and I have to wait for the property manager to OK it before they can repair it.  *sarcasm* Yay!

Knitting, however, is something I will always do and although I mostly use wool, it really hasn’t been too bad (lack of air conditioning not withstanding).  As a result, and the time I have between making my apartment look semi-decent for the ac guys and the 5 week condensed online course I am taking, I am almost done with my Snowflake sweater.

I’m about to pass out with the heat coming off of the computer, so cross your fingers for me to get the A/C fixed this week!

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

I Am a Moron

I’m not new at this, I swear!  So why did I just spend a frustrating half hour of my life searching for an error in a pattern that doesn’t exist?

I’m working on the beautiful and gorgeous Snowflake by TinCanKnits.  I’ve loved this pattern for years, and I’m finally working on it.

I’m making it in a xs, and I just spent an ungodly amount of time searching for an error that only existed in my head.  I saw that after the yoke I needed 260 stitches.  I had that.  Then after putting the sleeves on placeholders, I needed 170.  Ok, but that wasn’t working!!  Then I realized my problem.  I had 53 each for the arms, and the 77 for the front and back and I couldn’t figure out where the 16 for the CO on the underarms came from!!

Then I realized my mistake.  I’ve been knitting for over 15 years, and I was reading CO as Cast off, not Cast on…..  I still can’t believe I did that.  It’s worthy of bashing my head against the wall.

Just to prove that I’m not as dumb as I seem, I got my final grades back for this round of classes.  Two B’s and two A’s.  My final test grades were, 100, 92, 84, and 80.  The 100 was in Art History, and the 92 was in pre-calculus.  I got an A in pre-cal, and yet I can’t figure out how 77×2 + 16 = 170.

If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go sulk now.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized